Friday, March 27, 2009

bouquets of sharpened pencils (uh, flowers, i mean)

I've been listening to Charlie Hall's album Flying Into Daybreak these last few weeks, and it is definitely bringing back good memories. Sunday afternoons, coming home from church with Jennifer, making coffee, changing into comfy clothes and working on homework or watching movies with her and Yuuki. It's amazing to think about how much has happened since then, things I never thought possible. Things I never wanted to happen. Things that will affect my entire life. Yuuki has been living in Japan for a while now, which obviously means that I don't get to see her, ever. She is a dear friend who taught me a lot about love and culture, friendship and vulnerability. I was talking with another friend last night about how we go through stages of friendship in our life and my friend had a good analogy for it. She said that at the end of life, we end up with a mix of friends similar to a bouquet with different flowers. We don't always need roses or daisies, but sometimes we need a lily or a tulip. I'm at an interesting place in my life, making new friends and trying to deepen those relationships while missing friends that know me so well but aren't close by. It's a hard transition, learning to be vulnerable again.

No comments: