Monday, August 11, 2008

Thoughts on Change, Part 2

Last night, I was listening to Jon McLaughlin's Indiana album (I highly recommend it, it is an amazing piece of art) and something struck me. Most of his songs are about love, experiencing it, the pain of it, losing it, and I was reminded that humans are created for love.
Every person has an emptiness inside of them that can only be filled with a deep relationship, with loving someone and being loved by them. We search and search for that perfect person to be loved by, thinking they will fill that void. Assuming that's what will fulfill us and make us whole. But as the song Indiana shows, there's too much opportunity for pain in human love.

When you let yourself be deceived that a person can fill that emptiness, you will get hurt. Believe me, I know. I am a walking example of this fact. So, what does this have to do with change? The way that we chase after love, that hole inside of our hearts, it will never change. Every person struggles against this emptiness. But the great news is that there is something else that doesn't change and that is God. Why does this matter? Because the one true God is the only One that can fill this emptiness, the only one that can redeem our hearts, that only one that can love us fully and eternally. I certainly know this in my head, and I'm trying to work it out in my heart and my life. Believe it, friends. Believe that He loves you with a deep love and walk forward in this. He will not disappoint.

I'll leave you with this excerpt from the book Captivating
"Why did God curse Eve with loneliness and heartache, an emptiness that nothing would be able to fill? Wasn't her life going to be hard enough out there in the world, banished from the Garden that was her true home, her only home, never able to return? It seems unkind. Cruel, even. He did it to save her. For as we all know personally, something in Eve's heart shifted at the Fall. Something sent its roots down deep into her soul-and ours-that mistrust of God's heart, that resolution to find life on our own terms. So God has to thwart her. I love, he has to block her attempts until, wounded and aching, she turns to him and him alone for her rescue.
'Therefore I will block her path with thornbushes;
I will wall her in her so she cannot find her way.
She will chase after her lovers but not catch them;
she will look for them but not find them.' Hosea 2:6-7

1 comment:

Maggie said...

thats one of the best parts of that book